15 January 2008

The Khalsa Maid

The post from a few days ago got quite a bit of favourable comment in my e-mail and on facebook and orkut, so here's another, this time about the lady who graciously lets me use her name, or rather, nickname. The melody, assuming you are an affectionato of neither Woodie Guthrie (I love his music myself) nor Union Songs, the melody can be found in the credits link just before my lyrics.

My dear son, who is baffled and thinks he errs much more than he actually does, sent me this link to YouTube. I do not support Edwards for US President, I favour Kucinich, for what it's worth. He won't win, but I think he's the best person standing or rather running. Edwards isn't too bad, though. But it makes no difference. Since I'm Canadian, they'd throw me in prison if I voted! Be sure and listen to the third verse here. We women need to be 'at the front of every fight.' Oh, yeah!









A Song About Mai Bhago - And Us

(After The Union Maid by Woodie Guthrie)
(tune, traditional: adapted by Woodie Guthrie
)

There once was a Khalsa maid,
She never was afraid,
Of the Mughul might,
She'd always fight
She'd never give up, she'd draw her blade

She'd ride to the battle front
Of wounds she'd take the brunt
And when the cowards ran away

She'd round them up and say:




















Oh, you can't leave me, I'm a fighting Khalsa,
And you're fighting Khalsa,
We're the Guru's Khalsa,
Oh, you can't back down, we're all Guru's Khalsa,
We'll be Guru's Khalsa
Till the day we die

Mata Bhag Kaur was wise
Forty cowards to despise
She led their way
Into the fray
She made them open up their eyes

She led them in the ring
Like a hawk that's on the wing
Bole so nihal
And sat sri akaal
For Guru Gobind Singh!
























Oh, you can't leave me, I'm a fighting Khalsa,
And you're fighting Khalsa,
We're the Guru's Khalsa,
Oh, you can't back down, we're all Guru's Khalsa,
We'll be Guru's Khalsa
Today you'll bravely die.


Now open up the door
For every Khalsa Kaur
To do her best
With all the rest
Her seva ever value more



Today's Khalsa maid is bold
As she was in days of old
Her voice soars on
Singing the kirtan
At Harimandir Sahib gold. (Well, soon...)

Oh, you can't stop us, we're fighting Khalsa,
The women Khalsa , we're the bold Kaur Khalsa
Oh, you can't stop us, we're Guru's Khalsa
We'll be Kaur Khalsa
And that's how we'll die.

Photograph of hawk (from ABOVE!) by solarider

Photograph of women from Panthic Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE COMMENTS.

Please feel free to speak your mind. Dissension is allowed and welcomed. I only delete illegal comments and spam. OK, maybe obscene, but not usually.

If you want to contact me personally, my address is theroadtokhalistan@gmail.com