20 December 2008

END THE GENOCIDE IN PUNJAB NOW!!

We can stop it. In fact we are the only ones who can stop it - since we are the perpetrators. What we are doing to our preborn girl-children is as outrageous, as atrocious as what outsiders are doing to the children of Gaza. I have spent most of my day responding to people who are outraged at the pictures I posted of those dead children in Gaza. I wish I had such graphic pictures of our own murdered children to post. I do not. However, I promise I will find them and post them if this nonsense doesn't stop!

Aren't you yet getting tired of my harping on this subject? I am tired of it. I assure you, I think about it much more often than I write about it. One day, horrible, graphic pictures of dead and bloody children in Gaza. Now today, our own little girls. Again.

And it is us. You and I, the educated Sikhs, the ones who use computers and the Internet. We cannot blame this on illiterate, uneducated villagers who "don't know any better" and who "cannot afford a daughter." No, friends, my sisters and brothers, this is us! While I would not classify myself as affluent in North America, in Punjab, I would be considered both affluent and educated. Let me add that this is not only in Punjab. There are growing gender imbalances among us in Canada, as well. I cannot even begin to express my shame.

Here is my latest up dated picture of Anupreet Kaur, who recently turned 3. She looks deep in thought in this picture. I wonder what she's looking about. What do little, three year old girls think in these odd moments? Who could possibly resist such innocence and purity, such charm? I guess it is us. (I promise, I will continue to show you these delightful pictures if you stop this slaughter.)

There is only one way short of killing me to shut me up.
STOP THE MURDER OF OUR PREBORN GIRLS!!
END THE FOURTH GHALUGHARA TODAY!!!

Here is the story, published in many locations around the Web. How can the world take the much publicised social conscience of us Sikhs seriously, while we continue this slaughter of our own innocent children?





Gender imbalance highest among India's affluent: Harvard study



New Delhi, Dec 14 (IANS) A baby girl is still unwanted in many Indian homes. What's more, the sex ratio imbalance is highest among the rich and the educated, says a study by the Harvard School of Public Health in the US.

In India, where families have traditionally preferred son, the male-female ratio increases with the level of education. The odds of having a boy compared to a girl is 25 percent higher in houses where the head of the family has completed schooling.


'We found that households where the head of the house has completed schooling had an increased ratio of having a male child compared to houses with heads receiving no formal education,' S.V. Subramanian, lead author of the study released last month, told IANS.


The male-female ratio also increases with income, the study found. Higher income groups are 14 percent more likely to prefer a boy to a girl while in the poorer sections the preference may be just four percent more.


'Urban areas also reported higher sex imbalance as the odds of having a boy are 11 percent higher in cities compared to seven percent in rural areas,' Subramanian said.


The researchers used a nationally representative, population-based sample of household survey data provided by the Indian National Sample Survey Organisation (INSSO) for five recent years: 2004/05, 1999/2000, 1993/94, 1987/88 and 1983. The INSSO survey covered the whole of the India except for a few inaccessible and difficult pockets.


It also reveals that the introduction of the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act 1994 (PNDT) to check misuse of technology in this field has failed to correct the imbalance in the sex ratio.


'The sex ratio clearly signifies that the PNDT Act failed to check sex imbalance as the odds of having a boy increased to 10 percent in the period following the implementation of the Act. The odds of having a boy were seven percent in the pre-PNDT period,' Subramanian said.


There are notable variations among states. Punjab continues to be the state where the odds of having a boy increased to 37 percent compared to a girl. Karnataka has the lowest percentage with the odds of having a boy one percent higher than a girl.


According to Subramanian, a positive association between socio-economic status and sex imbalance is paradoxical given that the affluent class has been consistently associated with improved health and other well-being outcomes.


'The combined effect of persistent and intense son preference, along with increasing affordability and accessibility to technologies for sex determination, however, makes the concentration of male infants among the rich somewhat counter-intuitive,' the study found.


A higher incidence of giving dowry to the bride in marriage and prevailing inheritance practices favouring sons, both more common among high-income groups, are key motivations for an intense preference for sons among them.


'Meanwhile, a son preference norm could simply be dormant among low income groups, as they do not possess sufficient resources to practise discrimination,' the study said.


'For instance, low-income households, with reduced access to technologies available for foetal sex detection, may be less able to participate in the activities of foetal sex detection followed by selective abortion.'

Posted by Indian Daily News at 3:40

2 comments:

  1. That little girl is just adorable! I'd just like to hold her in my arms and give her a big hug and kiss. What a travesty this is about the preference for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SS ji - I think she'd like that, too!

    Yeah, Punjabis, bless 'em, have some very stupid customs, this one among them!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE COMMENTS.

Please feel free to speak your mind. Dissension is allowed and welcomed. I only delete illegal comments and spam. OK, maybe obscene, but not usually.

If you want to contact me personally, my address is theroadtokhalistan@gmail.com